Schroeder Road/Keystone Fires
Schroeder Fire info:
- 100% contained. Please take a look at your property and how “firewise” it is. Make changes to increase the chances or your home’s survival. Find some great tips on this page from the National Fire Protection Association – Preparing Homes for Wildfire.
- Please remember that there will be smoke and even areas of flare-ups where flames can be seen in the interior of the Schroeder Fire. Firefighters are monitoring from the ground and air for anything that would threaten lives or property. Please do not call 911 for smoke inside the Schroeder Fire perimeter
- West Highway 44 is opened to through traffic.
- Please be aware of increased equipment and law enforcement in the area around Highway 44. Reduced speed limits will be posted and enforced. For firefighter safety, it will be prohibited to pull off the road or park along the highway.
- Incident Information System updates posted here: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7356/
Keystone/Mount Rushmore Fire (aka 244 Fire) info:
- 100% contained.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial is open
- Hwy 244 is open
- Iron Mountain Rd access to Mt Rushmore is open
- Updates posted here: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7355/
Weather and smoke information:
- Great Plains Fire has updates regarding fires in the Black Hills area
- National Weather Service lists any Red Flag Warnings and Wind Advisories
- Smoke information
A fund has been set up at the Black Hills Area Community Foundation to provide support for those affected by the 2021 Black Hills Fires. If you are interested in donating go to bit.ly/blackhillsfire2021. Funds will be distributed to local community organizations to help individuals that have been affected. For those who prefer to send a check: BHACF/Black Hills Fires 2021 PO Box 231 Rapid City SD 57709
Burning info / guidelines:
- Fore more info, visit Pennington County’s Burn Permit Website or call (800) 275-495