Cost Options for Behavioral Health Care in South Dakota

When seeking treatment/counseling for mental health or substance use, cost can be a factor but should not be a barrier to seeking support. This HelpSheet provides a basic overview of options. Please contact the providers for additional details or reach out to the South Dakota Resource Hotline at 1-800-920-4343 for additional support.

Reduced cost options:

  • Some mental health or substance use treatment providers offer services based on a sliding fee scale. Sliding fee scale means they adjust the amount you owe based off your income. The discounted rate comes directly from the counseling/substance use treatment provider.

State Assistance Options:

  • Individuals who meet programmatic and financial eligibility may qualify for state funded services. The treatment provider can provide guidance on applying for this assistance. You can also call the Resource Hotline to inquire about who provides these services (1-800-920-4343).
  • For mental health services, the Division of Behavioral Health accredits community mental health centers. These centers receive state and federal funding to assist with counseling.
  • For substance use services, the Division of Behavioral Health accredits several providers across the state. These centers receive state and federal funding to assist individuals seeking various treatment options for substance use.

Insurance (including Medicaid) options:

  • Call your insurance company to find out if your plan has behavioral health coverage, and if so, what the deductibles are.
  • If you have Medicaid, you will want to find out if the counseling agency accepts Medicaid.

Private (self-pay) pay options:

  • For some individuals whose insurance doesn’t offer behavioral health benefits, you can tell the agency that you would be self-pay. You can ask the facility about any payment plans or other assistance available.

Additional cost options:

  • Is there an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through an employer? Some EAP’s will cover the cost of the initial assessment and/or a number of counseling sessions.
  • Legal spouses and children under the age of 26 often fall under the employee’s benefit.
  • If an individual does not qualify for initial financial support through the state, you may file for hardship consideration. Treatment providers can assist in filing these forms available on the Department of Social Services website. If the 1st round of assistance has passed/is exhausted, individuals can apply for a 2nd round of consideration; talk to your treatment provider for guidance.

Medication/prescription cost options:

  • There is a program through the State of South Dakota called the Indigent Medication Program that provides temporary assistance, to those who are eligible.
    • For individuals who need continued support through this program, they can complete this form for a medication extension.
  • For enrolled Tribal Members, Indian Health Services provides free medications.

For more information on cost options, call 211 or search our online database:

  • Enter your zip code
  • Select categories:
    • Health Care
    • Mental Health
    • Substance Use (Or Addictions)
    • Special Populations


Disclaimer: This HelpSheet is developed by the Helpline Center for informational purposes only. HelpSheets provide a brief overview of the designated topic. For more information, call 988 or text your zip code to 898211.

Updated: August 2023