Suscríbete a nuestro boletín    
Download PDF

Getting an ID When You Have Lost all Forms of ID

What do you do when you have lost all of your forms of ID? Here is a step by step guide:

  1. First, replace your Birth Certificate
    • Order in person
      • In South Dakota, go to the State Office of Vital Records of any Register of Deeds office, and complete an application.
        • Bring 2 alternative forms of identification (if you do not have a government issued photo ID, alternates could include: utility bill with current address; bank statement with current address; pay stub (must include your name, Social Security number plus name and address of business); or car registration or title with current address.
      • Fee: Certificate, $15.00
      • Payment options: May vary by location. Call ahead to find out.
      • For other states, contact the Vital Records office state you were born in. 
    • Order by mail
      • Obtain an application online at or at any Register of Deeds office.
      • Mail it in to one of the following:
        • Any County Register of Deeds Office
        • State Office of Vital Records 207 E. Missouri, Suite 1-A, Pierre, SD 57501
      • Application must be signed by a notary or a clear copy of an acceptable photo ID
      • Fee: Certificate, $15.00
      • Payment options: Check or money order.
    • Phone and Internet Orders
      • For an additional cost, you can process your request through an independent company via phone or online. This option includes the ability to expedite the request.
      • Fees include: Certificate – $15.00; Vital Check Fee, $6.50; Expedite Fee, $5.00; Optional UPS Next Day, $17.50
      • Payment options: All major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa.
  1. Second, replace your Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID
    • Take your certified birth certificate and other necessary documents to the local Department of Motor Vehicles to replace your driver’s license or non-driver ID.
      • For those who don’t have the necessary documents, consider filling out a Consent for Use of South Dakota Address form through the Department of Public Safety. This would allow you to list another person’s address as your own; that person would fill out the form and provide appropriate documentation. 
      • For individuals’ who are in a temporary living situation (homeless shelter, treatment facility, etc.) staff of that program can write a letter stating that you currently reside at that facility; it should be on company letterhead. 
    • Some people may be eligible to renew or obtain a duplicate online.
      • You will need to upload 2 documents that prove your address. They must show your name and be less than one year old.  
      • The license will be mailed in 2-3 weeks, and there is an additional $2.00 fee (in addition to the renewal fee) for using the online option. 
  1. Finally, replace your Social Security Card
    • In person:
      • Print out an application online at, or you can obtain one at a local social security office.
      • Submit the application along with appropriate required documents:
        • Citizenship = US. Birth certificate or U.S. Passport
        • Proof of age = Birth Certificate
        • Proof of identity = U.S. driver’s license; State-issued non-driver identification card; or U.S. passport.
          • If you do not have these documents (and can’t get them replaced) you will need other documents including: Employee identification card; School identification card; Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or U.S. military identification card.
        • Please note
          • Documents must be original; copies or expired documents won’t be accepted
          • 1 document can be used for 2 purposes (ie. a passport can be both proof of both citizenship and identity. However, you need at least 2 separate documents total)
    • Online: You may be able to apply for a replacement card online if you:
      • Are a citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses)
      • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card
      • Have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District of Columbia.
      • Visit: for more information

For more information on obtaining various forms of ID, call 211 or search our online database:

    • Use the following keyword search items:
      • Birth Certificates
      • Driver Licenses
      • Social Security Numbers
      • Notary Public Services
      • Motor Vehicle Registration
      • Passports
      • ID Card Expense Assistance
      • Birth Certificate Fee Payment Assistance
      • Driver License Fee Payment Assistance


Disclaimer: This HelpSheet is developed by the Helpline Center. HelpSheets provide a brief overview of the designated topic. For more information, call 211 or text your zip code to 898211.

 Updated: August 2020

es_MXEspañol de México