Suscríbete a nuestro boletín    
Download PDF

Options in Substance Use Crisis

When someone is struggling with substance use, there can come a time when their use creates life stressors that are overwhelming. When that happens, there are some options for help:

Options to consider

  1. Call 9-1-1
    If the person is presenting an immediate risk of danger to themselves or others, call 911. You may also call 911 to request a wellness check if you are unsure of their current safety.
  1. Call the South Dakota Resource Hotline at 1-800-920-4343
    The South Dakota Resource Hotline is part of South Dakota’s statewide targeted response to the substance use in South Dakota. The hotline provides a place where individuals are able to reach out for information on treatment resources and support.
  1. Call the Helpline Center by dialing 1-800-273-8255 (National Suicide Prevention Lifeline)
    The Lifeline is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. People may call for themselves or for a loved one who is struggling. Trained crisis workers are available to talk, assess the level of risk, and develop a plan to help keep the person safe.
  1. Go to an addictions counselor for an assessment
    An assessment is performed by an addictions counselor to assess a person’s safety and determine the appropriate level of treatment for that person. An assessment can be completed at any community based substance use disorder treatment facility. Based upon the assessment, a clinician may recommend that the person be admitted to an inpatient, outpatient, residential, or detoxification treatment facility.
  1. Initiate involuntary commitment (IVC)
    If a loved one is experiencing substance use-related crisis and is refusing treatment, it may be appropriate to file a petition for involuntary commitment. This process is typically initiated through your local law enforcement or the clerk of courts. Steps for this process are located here, or call 211 for a referral to the appropriate entity.

For more information on what to do in a substance use crisis, call 211 or search our online database:

    • Use the following keyword search terms:
      • 911 Services
      • Suicide Prevention Hotlines
      • General Assessment for Substance Use Disorders
      • Involuntary Substance Abuse Treatment Orders


Disclaimer: This HelpSheet is developed by the Helpline Center. HelpSheets provide a brief overview of the designated topic. For more information, call 211 or text your zip code to 898211.

Updated: August 2020

es_MXEspañol de México