Counties and towns may impose more restrictions because of dry conditions. Please confirm this information with your local law enforcement, government office or Chamber of Commerce.
- The legal period to discharge permissible fireworks is Monday, June 26 – Sunday, July 9, 2023. Permissible fireworks are “consumer fireworks” – the small fireworks usually sold at stands around the 4th of July.
- (Per South Dakota codified law, it is unlawful/illegal/prohibited for a person to discharge fireworks in this state except during the period beginning June 26 – the end of the first Sunday after July 4th and during the period beginning December 28 -January 1.)
- A violation of this law is a Class 2 misdemeanor.
- Additional regulations may apply based on certain City and/or County ordinances. See below or contact local Sheriff’s office or Police department for the laws in your area/additional questions.
- Fireworks are unlawful/illegal/prohibited on public lands: every forest, every campsite, and every day.
- Discharging fireworks is unlawful/illegal/prohibited on all lands owned or leased by Game Fish and Parks.
- The ban includes State Parks, Recreation Areas, Lakeside Use Areas, Game Production Areas and Nature Areas.
- Discharging fireworks is also unlawful/illegal/prohibited within the boundaries of the Black Hills Forest Fire Protection District, as well at National Forests and National Parks in South Dakota.
- For further details on fireworks including safety and security information, refer to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
Specifics for Black Hills
- Fireworks within the Black Hills Fire Protection District are unlawful/illegal/prohibited. A class 1 misdemeanor will be issued for any fireworks shot in this area. Please see the Black Hills National Forest webpage and a map of the Black Hills Fire Protection District.
The best and safest way to enjoy fireworks is to go to a public firework display and leave the lighting to the professionals.
For more information, call 211 or search our online database:
- Enter your Zip Code
- In the Search for Specific Program box, enter:
- Chambers of Commerce – for information on local 4th of July events
- South Dakota Legislature
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
- Wildland Fire Prevention– South Dakota
Disclaimer: This HelpSheet is developed by the Helpline Center. HelpSheets provide a brief overview of the designated topic. For more information, call 211 or text your zip code to 898211.
Last updated: May 2023