Getting an ID When You Have Lost all Forms of ID

What do you do when you have lost all of your forms of ID? Here is a step by step guide:

  1. First, replace your Birth Certificate
    • Order in person
      • In South Dakota, go to the State Office of Vital Records of any Register of Deeds office, and complete an application.
        • Bring 2 alternative forms of identification (if you do not have a government issued photo ID, alternates could include: utility bill with current address; bank statement with current address; pay stub (must include your name, Social Security number plus name and address of business); or car registration or title with current address.
      • Fee: Certificate, $15.00
      • Payment options: May vary by location. Call ahead to find out.
      • For other states, contact the Vital Records office state you were born in.
    • Order by mail
      • Obtain an application online at or at any Register of Deeds office.
      • Mail it in to one of the following:
        • Any County Register of Deeds Office
        • State Office of Vital Records 207 E. Missouri, Suite 1-A, Pierre, SD 57501
      • Application must be signed by a notary or a clear copy of an acceptable photo ID
      • Fee: Certificate, $15.00
      • Payment options: Check or money order.
  1. Second, replace your Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID
    • Take your certified birth certificate and other necessary documents to the local Department of Public Safety to replace your driver’s license or non-driver ID.
      • For those who don’t have the necessary documents, consider filling out a Consent for Use of South Dakota Address form through the Department of Public Safety. This would allow you to list another person’s address as your own; that person would fill out the form and provide appropriate documentation.
      • For individuals’ who are in a temporary living situation (homeless shelter, treatment facility, etc.) staff of that program can write a letter stating that you currently reside at that facility; it should be on company letterhead.
    • Some people may be eligible to renew or obtain a duplicate online.
      • You will need to upload 2 documents that prove your address. They must show your name and be less than one year old.
      • The license will be mailed in 2-3 weeks, and there is an additional $2.00 fee (in addition to the renewal fee) for using the online option.
  1. Finally, replace your Social Security Card
    • In person:
      • Print out an application online at, or you can obtain one at a local social security office.
      • Submit the application along with appropriate required documents:
        • Citizenship = US. Birth certificate or U.S. Passport
        • Proof of age = Birth Certificate
        • Proof of identity = U.S. driver’s license; State-issued non-driver identification card; or U.S. passport.
          • If you do not have these documents (and can’t get them replaced) you will need other documents including: Employee identification card; School identification card; Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or U.S. military identification card.
        • Please note
          • Documents must be original; copies or expired documents won’t be accepted
          • 1 document can be used for 2 purposes (ie. a passport can be both proof of both citizenship and identity. However, you need at least 2 separate documents total)
    • Online: You may be able to apply for a replacement card online if you:
      • Are a citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses)
      • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card
      • Have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states or the District of Columbia.
      • Visit: for more information

For more information on obtaining various forms of ID, call 211 or search our online database:


Disclaimer: This HelpSheet is developed by the Helpline Center. HelpSheets provide a brief overview of the designated topic. For more information, call 211 or text your zip code to 898211.

 Updated: June 2023